Friday 8 April 2011

Anger Management



This topic is near and dear to my heart since it’s the main reason I began working on myself in the first place and it opened so many different doors to all the growth potential I hadn’t noticed before. Anger is something that just like stress can take over your life and is a toxic way of being. There are different types of Temper Disorders: Temper Deregulation, Aggression and Road Rage are all considered temper disorders. The basis is that each of these acts displays a lack of self control. There are many different reasons why someone may be suffering from an anger disorder so the first step is to get to the root of the anger so you can begin to let it go. Without realizing we sometimes become so angry and infuriated that we end up really hurting the people we love. Granted the person may have pissed you off but at times you may be blowing minor things out of proportion or taking your anger way too far. The key is to figure out which problems warrant an uncontrollable outburst and which do not. I know from personal experience that some people and some issues make it extremely hard to keep a lid on my temper but I also know first hand that it can be done. The trick I’ve used is to ask myself BEFORE I freak out what exactly I stand to gain by losing my cool. If getting angry, swearing and hurting people’s feelings is what I’m looking to gain then hell really hath no fury but for the most part I end up realizing the situation or person isn’t worth upsetting myself over and I can just leave it alone or walk away. You begin to feel in control not only of yourself but of what’s happening around you too because you’re not worried about the actions of others but rather yours and yours alone. We all have the right to get angry and sometimes things will be done to us that we may feel are unfair but we should always remember that no one can bring us to an uncontrollable state of anger without first our consent. I have seen some folks face unimaginable wrongs done to them and they were able to chalk it up to a bad experience and move on without breaking a sweat (or a face) and I’ve seen some go completely bonkers over the littlest things most wouldn’t even penetrate. The point is that anger IS controllable you just have to become consciously aware of how you respond to people and situations. Here are some anger management tricks you can try

Give yourself permission to get angry
Concentrate on your breathing and begin to visualize peace within you
Learn to forgive and forget
Accept people for who they are
Listen to relaxing music or meditate
Think of the consequences of your angry responses
If you’re spiritual pray

If you’re facing a problem and feel yourself growing angrier and angrier the first thought should be to remove yourself from the situation so you can immediately begin to use your tips to try and relax and apply controlled judgment to figure out if it’s even something worth upsetting yourself over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment