Tuesday 12 April 2011

Living in Abundance



If you're anything like me then you have big dreams of hitting the lotto and striking it rich one day but what if all that we want and desire is right here in front of our faces? No winning numbers or big checks with multiple 0's just a life with less wants and more haves. Is it impossible to feel abundant when we constantly struggle with paying bills making sacrifice after sacrifice just to get by?
One day I asked myself a question: Why do you want to win the lottery? And of course the obvious reasons came to mind first, financial freedom, being able to help my friends and family and having enough to donate on a more regular basis, however the more I sat with the question the more answers started to flood my mind. I want to be powerful, a voice people will listen to. I want to make a difference. I want to be loved and admired. I want to prove to the world that I am capable of doing things some said I never would. Then I realized something; majority of the things I wanted didn't require my winning the lottery at all. In fact NONE of them did! I could start to work on every single thing on that list right now and I would probably accomplish most, if not all, a hell of a lot sooner than I might waiting around to win the lottery. Now don't get me wrong I still play every week and continue to trust that the universe is doing what it can to bring my dreams into reality but instead of idly sitting on the side lines I can put myself to work and begin to manifest those desires now.  I let go of the ever present and always harmful ego and told myself that if I made an effort to make a difference than the true power would lie in being able to help even one person in the world. I thought about my family and friends and how much I love them and they me and I saw I didn't need to have millions of dollars to be able to appreciate and help them if they needed me now. I told myself that even though I might not be rich I can still donate not only a few bucks but some of my spare time to the less fortunate. I kept reminding myself that seeking the approval of others, in any form, was just another way to feed my own ego so whether or not those who doubted me saw me in another light was completely irrelevant to my purpose. Once I narrowed it all down I saw I had so much to be thankful for in the present moment! A steady job with good pay and great benefits, a lovely apartment for myself and daughter to call home, people who care and love me unconditionally and an abundance of other things that I'd normally be taking for granted. Life in itself is a reason to feel abundant. The air we breath, the sun we bask in, the fresh foods we eat and the water we quench our thirsts and clean ourselves with are all blessings provided by the universe. These are things to be grateful for because without any of those we would have no life. We don't need money to be alive, plenty of people live long lives in poverty stricken countries and even on our own streets with barely anything to call theirs yet they are still here, alive and breathing. I'd read The Secret so I had already been on a mission to keep positive thoughts and be thankful for a little while but I never really noticed all the amazing things I could be thanking God for. I can honestly say that as I focused on all my haves rather than my have not's it made a huge difference in my life financially, emotionally, mentally and physically. I always have enough to pay my bills and to buy the things I need with extra to do other things like go away or go to a party with my girls. I have much greater relationships with those I hold near and dear to my heart. I'm able to accept that sometimes I can't get everything I want. And I take better care of myself and body now that I have a higher appreciation for my health. I feel as if I have everything I could ever want on a daily basis and when anything extra happens to come my way its just another reason to be grateful. So what makes a life of abundance? I say a life of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment